Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tyson's Travels

In his short life so far, Tyson has been to a few holiday destinations. That's the beauty of living with fresh retirees who will go to any length to spot a rare bird (a loose excuse to get out of the city). Here is a bit of a look at some of the places we've been together...

Jan 2010 - Snowy Mountains
Tyson was 3 months old when we took him to the high country. Day sleeps were (and still are) a bit of a headache. The only sure way Tyson would sleep is in the 'Baby Bjorn'. Having walked the suburbs of steamy Sydney to death over the previous 8 weeks, it was time to take my baby and my legs somewhere different and hope for cooler weather. We stopped off in Canberra to see the Musee D'Orsay, 'Masterpieces from Paris' exhibition. Tyson got his first dose of impressionism and I got to show him one of my favourite paintings, Pierre Bonnard's Le Chat Blanc.

Once in the mountains we walked up to Porcupine Rocks where the weather changed from sunny & warm, to wet & freezing within minutes. Tyson slept the whole way up and then, of course, the rain came just as we had stopped for lunch and I was breastfeeding him. Nevertheless, the dark clouds provided a beautiful backdrop to the snow gums, granite outcrops and wildflowers. This walk, which is near Perisher Valley, is definitely worth a go!

The following day it was a trek to Kosciusko. Well halfway up, anyway. We pushed the pram from Charlotte Pass along the old road as far as the Snowy River. Then I carried Tyson up to Seaman's Hut. 54 years earlier, my grandparents brought my father along the same road, but in their black, 1942 Pontiac (I'm told all the cars on the road were black at the time). My grandfather took out his false teeth and accidentally left them on a rock. We had a quick look around, but it seems the teeth are still missing.March 2010 - The Grampians
By March, Tyson is 5 months old and a little bit heavier. Still, I'm rocking him to sleep all day long but at least he can stay awake for longer between sleeps. So more walking is on the cards. The walk up to the Pinnacle at the Grampians just about broke my back but wow, it was worth it! Amazing rock formations and a spectacular view at the top. Once again, the rain came right at feeding time. I managed to crouch down under a rock ledge to get my boob out. It left a few passers-by guessing. (I shan't be posting those photos.)

April 2010 - Broken Hill
Baby Bjorn days are long over at this point, and sleeps in the car are the winner of the day (hooray!). I wanted to go to Broken Hill to see the outback, and I wasn't disappointed. One of the most beautiful walks I've ever been on was at Mutawinji National Park. It took some serious 4Wdriving to get there and we saw many a kangaroo and emu along the way. A highlight were the flocks of literally hundreds of budgerigars whooshing around in the long grass. We went to the site where Mad Max was filmed- the new one has been postponed because it's too "green" at the moment. Unbelievably there's been too much rain!

2 comments:

  1. You're here! I'm so happy to see you. I found you on JacS new blog... it's like a mini-reunion. I'll look forward to following Tyson's exploits a little more closely than I currently do. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a lucky boy to have such an adventurous Mum! Borrow our baby backpack next time you take a trip so you are more comfy :) The little fella will be walking himself before you know it though (I hope I see him again before then!)

    ReplyDelete